top of page

Athletic's solid form continues

Hook Youth Whites 0 - 4 Moor Mead Athletic

Athletic produced a commanding performance to beat Hook Youth Whites comfortably 4-0 away from home, and continue their highly promising start to the season.

Every player contributed to an impressive team performance, with the win comfortably in the bag before half-time.

Moor Mead played up a considerable slope in the first half, Miles taking the leading role in driving the Parakeets up the north face of the Eiger.

He immediately got his crampons out, striking up a good understanding with Mani down the left, and with Jake looking lively down the right, Moor Mead began to take the initiative after a cagey opening.

What threat Hook posed was dealt with well by Daniel and Jeremias at the back, and with Alexander tidying up effectively in front of the defence, Moor Mead started to dominate possession.

The breakthrough duly arrived when the ball broke free to Miles, who surged forward and unleashed a shot which a defender could only deflect into his own net.

A typical piece of skill by Mani set up a half chance, and Miles was denied a second by the outstretched leg of the keeper as Moor Mead took control.

But for all their dominance, clear cut chances remained elusive. Mani had a side foot snap shot saved, and Dilly and Elliot combined well twice.

Finally the second goal arrived: Louis leapt like the proverbial salmon to power an angled header past the keeper from a Miles corner. It was no more than the Parakeets deserved.

The second half promised more of the same. Dilly forced a diving stop in the opening moments.

But to their credit Hook came back into the game, as Moor Mead seemed to sit back on their lead.

Alec dealt comfortably with two long-range efforts, and Ben made a couple of well-timed interceptions to snuff out promising counter-attacks.

The game seemed to fall a bit flat, save for Mani and his Fred Astaire feet in midfield.

But the Parakeets found a second wind. Louis hit the post from another excellent Miles corner, and William Warry began to cause problems down the right.

Miles was switched back to the centre of defence, but that didn’t stop him scoring a third - blasting a long-range shot over the keeper’s head from the centre circle.

Moor Mead added a fourth. Great interplay allowed Elliot to carve out space in the box, and he slipped the ball to Jake, who emphatically buried a rising shot into the roof of the net.

Hook produced one last flourish, their winger skinning three defenders before his run was ended by a superb sliding tackle from Ben. His frustration saw tempers flare, and Alec substituted off for unsporting conduct: it was the first time he had been called upon to use his fists in earnest in the whole game.

Moments later the final whistle went. If it had been a boxing match, the referee would have stopped it a long time before, but the Parakeets can be satisfied with a crushing points win.

bottom of page