top of page

The Invincibles?

Moor Mead extended their 100% record to five games with an impressive 6-1 win over Teddington Athletic Jets at a glorious, sunny Bushy Park.

The Parakeets bounced back from a rocky period before half time with a dominant second half performance, illuminated with incisive passing and good movement.

Before kick off a young stag was an early visitor at what must be one of the few grounds in England where deer on the pitch is a potential problem.

Possibly inspired by the setting, Athletic made a strong start.

Mani fired just wide from a good ball by Ryan, and Daniel was denied by the keeper after linking with Miles.

Ryan forced a save following good interplay between Miles and Mani, and a Miles corner was palmed away by the Jets' keeper.

It seemed almost inevitable that Athletic would make their early dominance count, and Ryan duly obliged after the keeper had blocked an effort by Daniel.

However, Athletic then rather lost focus, and shape. Jets levelled against the run of play when Jake air-kicked an attempted clearance in goal, and they were lucky not to fall behind when the defence was cut open, Jake managing to scramble the ball away when faced with a one-on-one with the Jets striker.

Athletic bounced back with Dilly and Jake forcing good saves from the opposition keeper, and a William shot was deflected narrowly wide.

​All that was missing was the final finish, as William sliced wide from a Mani cross, and Mani curled just past the post following a forceful break by William.

But the Jets defended well, pressing in midfield, and it remained level at half-time.

The Parakeets started the second half as they had the first. Sustained pressure finally bore fruit when Dilly produced a composed finish, having been put through by Ryan.

Miles and Jake, who hustled to great effect in midfield, went close, and Dilly forced a good save from the keeper.

Charlie extended the lead with a clinical low finish following an excellent jinking run by Dilly, who cut through the home defence once again seconds later.

Then Mani produced a crafty piece of close control to set up a toe poke finish from a cross by Jake.

Ben was putting in a determined performance in a more advanced role than usual, and behind him Orla was solid at the back. The vociferous home ground was being slowly silenced.

They were effectively reduced to Trappist monks by an outstanding solo goal from William, firing high into the net after beating several defenders.

William added a sixth with a close range shot, which Mani described as “nearly taking my head off”.

By this stage, the whole team was working very well as a unit, stringing a succession of passes together in the manner of the Arsenal midfield.

The extent of the Parakeets' dominance was summed up by coach Matt, who was called upon to keep Dilly, by now a spectator in goal, on his toes with a cry of “wakey, wakey.”

At the final whistle the players celebrated by with a manic game of hunt the Haribo. The stag, mind probably on the approaching rutting season, was long gone.

bottom of page