top of page

Moor Mead show their mettle to reach Cup last 16

Moormead started the game all over their cup opposition - Old Coulsden Colts Blazers, with early forays into the box from Dilly and Mani. With a sign of things to come Mani did everything to get into the box, but the keeper snuffled his chance with Mani clattering to him. The keeper proved a presence in goal and he was difficult to beat.

Mani and Dilly started up front and fashioned a number of chances with Dilly putting one just wide. Mani then had another so - he started the game on fire - but still couldn't beat the keeper, and Kiran joined the fun, he had a couple of chances, the second the best, but he couldn't quite curl the ball into the far corner.

Sam then had a typical run from defence, unbuttoning a few of the Blazers, Mani got the ball and crossed into the box but no one was there. Daniel was influential, and also had a cross into the box, which Mani chipped over. Ben had a long shot but it was easily saved. It should be mentioned here that the pitch was pretty frozen at the start of the game and made passing and dribbling difficult as it was very bobbly. Despite that Mani had another chance finishing with a near post shot, almost squeezing it in but it bounced off the post.

Coulsden had a long clearance from the back, the pitch proved our undoing as neither Orla or Ben could get hold of it as the ball zigzagged along the ground, and their number 4, clearly their best player, latched onto it and thumped it past Alec. Very much against the run of play Coulsden scored and we wondered if it was going to be one of those days.

1 - 0 Coulsden

The opposition had cracked a tactical minefield - when the pitch is rubbish - hoof it forward. Especially when there best two players were up front, so as soon as one of them had hold of it they looked like scoring.

Alec though had other ideas. Exactly the same move that led to the goal happened again, but this time when the shot came, nicely crafted on the turn from the no 10, Alec put out a big paw and palmed the ball strongly away for a corner.Could have been 2 - 0.

It could have been 3 - 0 shortly after, another break by Coulsdon, this time on the left brought Alec off his line to try to close the angles, but the shot sailed past towards the goal, only to find Kiran on the line who leapt like a salmon to chest the ball away on the line.

Coulsden very much on top at half time.

What to do, what to do, I know, give the ball to Sam. Despite kicking uphill second half, Moormead regained their attacking bent, but it was another mazy Sam dribble that ended up proving decisive. For once his shot from the edge of the area hit no defenders but only just bobbled past a despairing keeper. His second was a gem, well crafted and slotted past the keeper, but again from a similar run.

2 - 1 Moor Mead

To be fair Coulsden were tiring, they hadn't any subs, but they were disappointed to lose I think, Moor Mead realised they only had to see the game home and all hands went to defence with Jake running everywhere and proving to be a great out ball player

A deserved win? Well, it was a cup game, anything can happen!!

Up the Moor Mead


bottom of page